Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I Eat With Gusto, Damn! You Bet

I think my Jonathan Richman vinyl selection has gotten to the point where I can brag about it. I currently own his first four albums, three of which haven't been released on CD.

Here, I'll show you...



If you don't know who Jonathan Richman is, he's a musician who first got attention when he formed the punk band The Modern Lovers. After that one punk album (it's punkiness is debatable), he ditched that whole schtick and starting writing rockabilly-esque love songs that range from the bizarre to the blissful.

I love Richman because I get the impression that he doesn't take himself too seriously but still gives his all in both his song writing and his live performances.

Richman is without a doubt at the top of my list of musicians I want to see before I (or more likely they) die. Based on clips of him on youtube, he seems to make sure everyone has a good time.

This is one of my favorites...

(take note that this is from 1978 and that all the band members have 70's mustaches and looks like they could easily be in Moby Grape or something, yet Jonathan... looks timeless.)

No comments: